Sky Muster™ Plus was announced by nbn co last year and is currently being trialled by fifty SkyMesh customers, to help iron out any issues before nbn co’s planned commercial launch on the 9th August 2019.
If you’re a SkyMesh customer who opted-in to receive updates about Sky Muster™ Plus, you would have received an email regarding the trial period.
If you’ve participated in the trial period, thanks for helping test the upcoming service.
Here is a summary of nbn co’s traffic categories and shaping policy:
|Name||Traffic Category||Time of Day||Data Allowance||Shaping Policy||Fair Use Policy|
|Unmetered Content||Basic Web Content||Any time||N/A||Unshaped||No excessive automated downloads|
|Any time||N/A||Unshaped||No routine emails larger than 20 MB|
|Operating System Updates||Any time||N/A||Unshaped*||No updates to more than 20 devices per calendar month|
|Metered Content||(Traffic that does not fit categories above)||Peak Hours (7:00 am to 1:00 am|
|Peak Data Allowance||Unshaped then 512/256 kbps if data allowance exceeded||No more than 30 GB in excess of data allowance per calendar month|
|Off-Peak Hours (1:00 am to 7:00 am)||Off-Peak Data Allowance||Unshaped then 2048/512 kbps if data allowance exceeded||No more than 30 GB in excess of data allowance per calendar month|
*In the future, nbn co may change this to 256 kbps between 7:00 pm and 11:00 pm.
Although our Sky Muster™ Plus test participants don’t form a representative sample of our whole customer base, here are the main takeaways from the trial so far:
Although this does not indicate what data speeds you can achieve when the service is released, it does indicate that a significant increase over standard Sky Muster™ services has been possible.
Based on the plans available from nbn co and the learnings from the trial, we feel that the new service is best suited to the following types of users:
nbn co offers a choice of three Sky Muster™ Plus plans with Peak Data Allowances and matching Off-Peak Data Allowances. Given that some proportion of your network traffic is likely to be categorised as Unmetered Content, a data allowance on Sky Muster Plus™ may represent better value than the same one on Sky Muster™.
For example, if around 25% of your traffic is categorised as Unmetered Content and the remaining 75% as Metered Content (the split we saw during the trial), your Sky Muster Plus™ data allowance could compete with a standard Sky Muster allowance that is 33% larger. See the table below to understand how Unmetered Content can increase the value of your Sky Muster Plus™ Peak Data Allowance (likewise for your Off-Peak Data Allowance).
|Peak Data Allowance for Sky Muster Plus Plan||Your Metered Content Usage on Sky Muster Plus during Peak Hours (75%)||Your Unmetered Content Usage on Sky Muster Plus during Peak Hours (25%)||Your Total Usage on Sky Muster Plus during Peak Hours (100%)||Peak Data Allowance needed for equivalent Sky Muster Plan||Effective Allowance Increase|
|50 GB||50 GB||17 GB||67 GB||67 GB||33%|
|100 GB||100 GB||33 GB||133 GB||133 GB||33%|
|150 GB||150 GB||50 GB||200 GB||200 GB||33%|
Of course, your actual usage split will depend on the types of content you download and upload each month.
Yes, if you have an existing Sky Muster™ service, with SkyMesh or another provider, you can now order the new service and be one of the first to access it.
Before ordering, we suggest that you check out our new plans and determine whether or not the new service and its features will suit your particular needs. Many existing customers may find their current plans better suit their needs.
If you need some advice, please call our friendly team on 1300 759 637.
Written by Barnaby Lassen
Originally from Oxford (UK), Barney's been with SkyMesh since 2016. Outside of work, you might catch him down his local swimming pool or walking his very-good-girl, Macey.